Success Stories

Our Success story for September is about a sweet little Miniature Pinscher named “Rocky”. Rocky’s owner rushed him into our hospital on a Sunday during Emergency hours. Rocky’s owner, Espy, was very worried as she suspected that Rocky had gotten into some Rat poison. Dr. Kristin did an exam on Rocky and agreed with Espy’s suspicions and we started treating Rocky for Rodenticide Toxicity.

Rodenticide Toxicity from ingestion of a rat or mouse poison is an extremely serious and can be a fatal situation. The poison breaks down the animals ability to forms clots and causes internal bleeding.

Dr. Kristin and the nursing staff acted quickly. Dr. Krisitin gave Vitamin K and started plasma transfusion in hopes that Rocky’s body would be able to pick up after the transfusion and start clotting again. Only time would tell. We were all very concerned that despite all of our efforts that Rocky may not make it. We would know more  in 24 hours when we would take more blood tests to tell us if Rocky’s body was responding to the plasma transfusion or not.

Within 24 hours, Rocky made a huge turn around. Although he had left over bruising from the internal bleeding, the bleeding had stopped. His blood tests improved over then next few days. He was eating and showing signs that he was feeling himself again. Due to a quick response and good timing we are happy to say that Rocky survived this ordeal!

We wish Rocky many more years of happiness with his adoring owner Espy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 5, 2010 we received an emergency phone call from Ann Jones. Ann was concerned because her husband had found their black lab, “Shiba” with a fishing wire hanging out of her mouth. They suspected that she had swallowed a fish hook. When pets swallow a fish hook it is extremely important that no one tugs on the line. Also if the fishing line is hanging from your pets mouth we ask that you never cut it. Ann and her husband did the right thing, call us before you do anything at all!

Shiba arrived and was visibly annoyed by the fish line hanging from her mouth. Dr. Jen immediately ordered up X-rays to see where exactly the hook was. Shiba was so sweet and well behaved for the radiographs. 
After seeing the radiographs we knew that Shiba needed to be put under anesthesia so that we could perform an endoscopy to remove the hook. With other emergencies coming in and Dr. Jen being the only doctor on call, she decided to call in Dr. Doug to help out with the endoscopy. When Dr. Doug got to the hospital Shiba was ready to go. We intubated Shiba at 8:15pm and at 8:17 we were waking her up from anesthesia, the quickest endoscopy Dr. Doug has ever performed. Although Shiba was sleepy from the anesthesia you could tell how relieved she was to get that hook out of her body! Thanks to Dr. Doug, Dr. Jen and the quick action of her owners!